Inspiring 9 year old: Raising Money for Childhood Cancer in Memory of His Friend
It is always inspiring to see young children doing great things. Anthony Pepe, 9 years old, is from Queens, NY. He recently lost a friend, Sebastian Oseff, to cancer. He decided to raise money for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation and will be shaving his head on March 16th. He has invited other people to do the same. Even the NY Yankees are helping his cause… donating some caps to those who will shave their heads. It turns out Sebastian was a big fan and wore a Yankees cap when he no longer had hair… Please read this inspiring story of a boy doing something great in memory of his friend Sebastian.
Anthony’s views of family and friendship are inspirational. It’s good to know that kids like Anthony are our future!
1. Why did you think it was important to do something for your friend?
It was important to me because Sebastian was the sweetest person I have ever met. He always made sure people were happy. So I know that doing this in his memory makes him happy just the way it is making me happy.
2. Can you tell us how much money you’ve raised thus far, and how much more you have to go? Personally I have raised $1,020, [out of $1,300 goal]; the event has raised $2,720
3. How did you come up with this idea, to shave your head and raise money? My mom had donated money to one of her friend’s kids that had cancer and he shaved his head in honor of himself and his sister through The St. Baldrick’s Foundation. They are the first set of twins to both have Wilms Tumor, a cancer that affects the kidneys.
4. What do you wish people knew about childhood cancer? That 1 in 5 children diagnosed with cancer will not survive.
5. What will you remember most about Sebastian? That Sebastian never gave up and that no matter how much how much pain he was in at time he was always happy.
6. You’re only 9, but you’re already doing great things! What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a professional soccer player.
7. One thing I think all 9 years old should think about is doing their best in school and making sure they always have fun.
8. What advice would you give to other kids who are trying to help a friend who has cancer?
That friendship is almost as strong as family and that by sticking together you can make the other happy. Helping others is very important and that is the purpose of this fundraiser.
9. How can people support or get involved? Donate our efforts using this link, join us and shave your head!
10. Finish this sentence… I think the world would be a better place if … cancer did not exist! …. WE COULDN’T AGREE MORE!!!