Disclosure: I received complimentary admission to attend the Lucky Diaz concert at the Bronx Zoo. However, all expressions of excitement over animals, dinosaurs and music are strictly my own (or belong to adorable little boys.)
I have been to the Bronx Zoo many times before, but this was the first time it was so special. It was probably because Enzo is old enough that he can truly enjoy the animals, sites and sounds he sees.
There is so much to see and do at the Zoo! It is really hard to get it all done in one day, so planning is a great way to make the best of your day.
Here are some tips for your day at the Zoo:
- Plan: You can check out the map before you go on the Zoo website. There are times when certain animals feed that you might want to catch, or perhaps some special exhibits that you know your kids will enjoy. There are also some things that are closed for renovations (right now, the Children’s Zoo is closed until end of summer.)
- Double check transportation: If you’re taking public transportation, there are many ways to get to the Bronx Zoo… have a backup because sometimes the MTA’s service changes aren’t announced!
- Pack lunch: There are areas where you can sit with your kids to enjoy lunch. You will save money and you can pack healthy options. We packed bagels, fruit, yogurt and snacks.
- Figure out what ticket works best for your family. Depending on what you want to see/do you might want to get a total experience ticket (access to all the rides including monorail, bug carrousel, dinosaur safari) but if you have younger kids or you think you won’t be able to enjoy a lot of the extra stuff, then maybe a general ticket would work for you. If you think you will be going to the zoo a lot in one year, you may want to consider a WCS membership which has great perks (like admission to other zoos in the city!) WEDNESDAYS are free at the Bronx Zoo!
- Don’t forget sunscreen, comfortable shoes and hats. It can get really hot!
- Don’t forget your camera!
Here are some highlights from our day at the Bronx Zoo:
Riding the monorail and seeing the elephants:
The monorail is the perfect way to check out the animals at the Zoo. Best part? You are guaranteed to see the elephants.
Dance party with Lucky Diaz & Family Jam Band: We took a break from the animals and enjoyed the awesome music of Latin Grammy-award winner Lucky Diaz & the Family Jam Band. The kids giggled, pretended to be animals and had a dance party!
I’d say this is definitely a must-do… How cool to be able to see dinosaurs à la Jurassic Park? The Dinosaur Safari is running until November 2nd so make your way to the Zoo before it closes!
Riding the Bug Carrousel: Ride caterpillars, grasshoppers, ladybugs… Enzo loved the bug carrousel!
and the most adorable moment of the day was seeing this… how CUTE are these mama and baby seals???
Let’s chat! Have you visited the Bronx Zoo this year? What is your favorite animal?