#MKBWorldCup: 10 Fun Facts about Argentina
As part of Multicultural Kid Blogs’ World Cup Project, I’m happy to bring to you my first post on Argentina.
Here are some fun facts you probably didn’t know about the Argentina and the Argentinian Squad:
1. The capital of Argentina is called Buenos Aires. (Literally meaning “Good Airs”)
2. Argentina comes from the Latin word “Argentum” which means silver.
3. Argentina has won the World Cup Title twice, once in 1978 and once in 1986.
4. The Argentinian Squad’s nickname is “los Albicelestes” coming from the colors white and light blue, the colors of the Argentinian flag.
5. Argentina has given the world amazing football players. The most famous one being Diego Maradona and most recently, Lionel Messi, who is considered one of the World’s Best Football (soccer) players. Messi has won the “Ballon d’Or” three times. Currently, he is considered the second best player in the world (after Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo.)
6. Argentina has given the world one of the most beautiful dances out there, the tango.
7. Argentina is South America’s second largest country (after Brazil) and the world’s 8th largest.
8. Argentina has a female president, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
9. Argentina has amazing flora and fauna: it has the Patagonia, the Andes mountains and the Iguazu Falls, which have been declared a world heritage site by UNESCO.
10. One of the most famous people in the world is Argentinian: Pope Francis, the leader of the Catholic Church. Naturally, he is a die-hard fútbol fan.
For the remainder of the World Cup, I will be sharing fun facts about Argentina! Don’t forget to check out the other bloggers who are covering all 32 participating countries as part of the Multicultural Kid Blogs’ World Cup Project. Recipes, crafts and more… Check out the MKB Facebook page so you don’t miss out!
In this list, there was only one fact I didn’t know: that Argentina was the 8th biggest country in the world! But if I show the list to my husband, I think he’s going to drop dramaticly the family score…