NYC is full of great museums for kids-- and I'm not only talking about the museums that are especially FOR kids like the Children's Museum-- There are many museums in NYC that kids will enjoy, and more importantly, where they will learn a lot-- museum outings are perfect for hot summer days (Hello AC!) and also to keep the learning going during the summer months, though in a less structured way than in the classroom. While museums can be pricey, there are many ways to see museums for FREE in NYC!
Here's a list FREE museums in NYC that kids and adults will love:
American Museum of Natural History
(open M-F 10 AM-5:45 PM) – Suggested admission is $22 for adults/ $12.50 for children but you can pay less than the suggested amount if you purchase your ticket at the museum counter
Brooklyn Children’s Museum
– Free Thursdays 2-6 PM
Children Museum of Art (CMA) –
Pay as you wish every Thursday 4-6 PM
Children’s Museum of Manhattan
– Free on the first Friday of every month from 5-8 PM
The Jewish Museum
is free to all on Saturdays, pay what you wish on Thursdays from 5-8 pm and children under 18 are always free! There is a small (but very cute) children's section.
Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET)
– (open M-Th 10 AM-5:30 PM and F-Su 10 AM-9 PM) – Suggested admission is $25 for adults but you can pay less than the suggested amount
if you purchase your ticket at the museum counter.
Museum of the City of New York
- Children and teens are always free!
Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
– Free every Friday 4-8 PM. Children under 16 years old are always free
Museo del Barrio
- Celebrate Latino culture at the Museo del Barrio!
Free for kids 12 and under
Free for Seniors on Wednesdays
Free every third Saturday of the month for Super Sábado
*SPECIAL 2×1 OFFER*
With your admission to El Museo del Barrio, you can gain FREE entrance to the Museum of the City of New York.
Museum of the Moving Image
– Located in Astoria, NY it features a history of TV and movies. It is free every Friday 4-8 PM
National Museum of the American Indian
New York Hall of Science
– Free every Friday 2-5 PM and Saturdays 10-11 AM
New York Historical Society
- Admission is pay-as-you-wish from 6-8 pm on Fridays, free for kids under 4.
PS the Children's Museum portion on the lower level is super cute! AND there is a Mo Willems exhibition on display until Sept. 25th, as well as Spanish language programming for kids once a month.
Whitney Museum of American Art
– Pay what you wish on Fridays 7-10 PM – children under 18 years old always free
There is another way to get free admission to some cultural institutions in NYC-- sign up for the NYC ID card => Click here for more info on how to get ID NYC.
What's your favorite museum for kids in NYC?
Share with us below!