World Aids Day: How Much Do You Really Know about AIDS? Take Quiz and Find Out!
10 years ago I was an English assistant at a high school in Aix-en-Provence, France. I was teaching conversational English and I always wanted to make my lessons meaningful to my students. The week of World AIDS Day I decided to create a multiple choice quiz to test the students’ knowledge on AIDS. Of course, it was also meant to teach them the facts about AIDS because I suspected they didn’t know fact from fiction.
Here are the type of questions I asked the students. 10 years later, I suspect that there are still a lot of misconceptions with regards to AIDS, so I’m inviting you to take the multiple choice quiz and test your knowledge!
After you’ve taken the quiz, leave a comment and share how many you got right! (Answers below, no peeking!)
1. What causes AIDS?
a. a parasite
d. a mosquito
2. Which one of these IS a way to become infected with HIV/AIDS?
b. sharing a toilet
c. shaking hands
d. sharing needles
3. Which one of these IS NOT a way to become infected with HIV/AIDS?
b. unprotected sex
c. sharing a cup
d. blood transfusion
4. Approximately how many people are living with HIV/AIDS in the world?
a. 75 million
b. 12 million
c. 35 million
d. 1 billion
5. Approximately how many children are living with HIV/AIDS in the world today?
a. 10.5 million
b. 5.2 million
c. 3.5 million
d. 1.5 million
6. Is there a cure for HIV/AIDS?
a. Yes, surgery.
c. yes, chemotherapy
d. not yet
7. Where in the world are most of the HIV/AIDs cases?
b. Latin America
c. Sub-Saharan Africa
d. Eastern Europe
8. What does HIV stand for?
a. Human intellectual-deficiency virus
b. Human immuno-deficiency virus
c. Human incurable virus
d. Human immunological virus
9. Is there a treatment for HIV/AIDS?
a. Not yet
d. anti-retroviral drugs
10. Approximately how many people have died from HIV/AIDS since it was discovered?
a. 10 million
b. 100 million
c. 40 million
d. 75 million
Did you think this was easy or hard? Here are the answers:
1. B, 2. D, 3.C, 4. C, 5. C, 6. B or D, 7. c, 8. B, 9. D, 10. C
For more facts and infromation on HIV/AIDs please visit the WHO website.
How did you do? How many questions did answer correctly? Share below!