Disclosure: I received complimentary admission in order to facilitate this review. All expressions of excitement over Francesco the Clown and more are purely my own (and Enzo’s.)
The Big Apple Circus has been around for over 35 years (37 to be exact.) Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to visit it as a kid, but I did take a few loved ones when they were younger and this year was the first time I took my son who is three.
Here are ten reasons why I plan on making a visit to the Big Apple Circus a yearly holiday tradition (and why you should too!)
1. A clown that isn’t scary. Many kids don’t like clowns. Many kids are scared of clowns. Well, you won’t have to worry about that here. Francesco the Clown is simply delightful. He is funny, and he isn’t scary at all.
2. One Ring Circus. That means you are always a short distance away from the action…no seat is more than 50 feet away from the action! All seats are great seats!
3. No animal cruelty. The Big Apple Circus actually works with rescued dogs, how cool is that?
4. Jokes that will make you LAUGH OUT LOUD. Yes, YOU GROWNUP… The Big Apple Circus is made to make everyone have a good time!
5. Magic that will mesmerize little ones and old ones alike. I found myself thinking, “How the heck did they do that??!” Over and over again.
6. Affordability: The Big Apple Circus is affordable; tickets start at $25 and you can often find deals on tickets so the whole family can come along (bring grandma and grandpa too!) For example, Wednesday shows at 11 am and 6:30 PM are BOGO! (Buy one get one free!)
7. Autism-Friendly shows: The Big Apple Circus offers special 75 minutes shows for families with children on the spectrum. Here are the dates and time for Big Apple Circus’ future autism-friendly shows (and a discount code!)
8.Clown Care: The Big Apple Circus is a nonprofit organization and its Clown Care program provides children in pediatric hospitals with some much needed happiness Their clown doctors bring some laughter healing power to children and their families. When you go to the Big Apple Circus, you’re supporting this program and other community programs they offer.
9. Accessibility: The Big Apple Circus is located on the Upper West Side, right by Lincoln Center, it is a great location accessible by subway, taxi, bus… walking! The Circus is wheelchair accessible. It’s also near Central Park, so after the show, head over to the Columbus Circle Christmas Market!
10. Every year, a new show to discover! Every year the Big Apple Circus comes back with a new show that will surely keep you laughing, smiling and creating memories with your little ones!
We plan on making a visit to the Big Apple Circus a family tradition! Watching my son watch the performers was priceless. My favorite part? When he kept asking “MAS, mama? HAY MAS??” (MORE MAMA? There’s MORE??)with a huge smile on his face… like he couldn’t believe how amazing it all was.
The Big Apple Circus will be at Lincoln Center until January 11th, 2015. For information on tickets, check out their site. In 2015, it will also be in Bridgewater NJ, Boston, MA and Queens, NY.
Share with us! Have you been to the Big Apple Circus? What was your favorite part?