Meatless Mondays: Quick, Yummy and Easy Soups
Come fall and winter, I love making soups. Here are three quick, yummy and easy soups… as a working mom on the go, I love that these are simple and easy. These three recipes are packed with nutrients and a great way to get my little one to eat some veggies.
(Note: I’m not much of a measurer…I just eyeball according to my family and freeze whatever is left over– but usually there’s no leftovers!)
1. Cauliflower butternut squash soup
- butternut squash
- veggie cube (optional)
Finally, add grated cheese!
2. Veggie Medley Soup:
This soup can also be called “whatever you have in your produce drawer” soup. The veggie medley soup is a great way to use up all veggies before they spoil.
The last time I made the veggie medley soup I used the following ingredients (but you can use whatever you have!)
- Butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Organic veggie cube for flavor
For the cauliflower and butternut squash and the veggie medley, here is how I cook them:
- sauté onions and garlic with a little olive oil
- Add vegetables
- Mix veggies so they don’t stick and cook with the olive oil
- Add water to cover veggies
- Optional: Add organic veggie broth (I use cubes)
- Cook under low fire.
- When tender, remove most water, reserve it.
- Using an immersion blender, blend veggies. (Shouldn’t be too liquidy or too thick, use reserved water if you need to add for consistency)
- When puréed, add a tablespoon of butter (I like the President unsalted or Kerrygold)
MOST IMPORTANT: serve with grated cheese!
3. Cheesy Spinach
I Love making this soup because it reminds me of my childhood. My mom used to make this soup for us and she’d always say “hay que comer la espinaca para ser fuerte como Popeye.” “You have to eat spinach soup so you can be strong like Popeye.” My spinach soup is super easy.
Three ingredients: Potatoes, Spinach (fresh or frozen!) and cheese!
- Peel and dice potatoes, put to boil
- boil spinach on the side
- when both are cooked
- use immersion blender to blend (pay attention to consistency)
- add milk (optional: touch of heavy cream)
- add salt
- and of course… grated cheese to garnish!!
Do you have any easy, quick and yummy recipes? Share below!