Note: We were invited to a press screening of Cantinflas. No other compensation was received. All opinions of excitement over Cantinfladas* are strictly my own (and my dad’s.)
*Cantinflada=something that is related to the way Cantinflas would act.)
When I received an invitation to attend a screening of Cantinflas the movie, I smiled and immediately had flashbacks of being young and going to the video store and renting all the Cantinflas and India Maria movies to watch with my parents.
So, I invited my dad to be my date for the evening. It warms my heart when I am able to do special little things for my parents (like taking them to the movies) because it’s not stuff that they would do for themselves. My dad rarely goes to the movies, I could probably tell you all the movies we’ve seen together: Roger Rabbit, the Little Mermaid, Maid in Manhattan. (I’m sorry, I digress…)
Cantinflas was very much a part of my childhood. While I don’t remember the specifics of the movies, all I remember was that he made us all laugh con sus cantinfladas. I also remember watching all the movies that were available, and what a big deal it was when they were available in color.
Cantinflas: The Legend.
To be honest, I never even thought about what a huge deal Cantinflas was until I saw the movie. It turns out, he was a HUGE deal, the most beloved actor in Mexico, Latin America and Spain…What a fascinating man, and what a fascinating life!
I hate to spoil the movie, so I won’t go into details, but I can tell you that you will be delighted, and you may leave wanting more. Since you may not believe me, for I was a Cantinflas fan before watching the movie, don’t take my word for it; check out this post over at Atypical Familia, by Lisa Quinones-Fontanez who watched the movie without having ever hear of Cantinflas before. Check out this trailer as well:
Cantinflas opens this weekend (August 29th) all over the USA. Here are 5 reasons why you should watch Cantinflas:
- Learn about Mario Moreno’s fascinating life. This is really a fascinating rags to riches story.
- Learn how a Mexican actor became the most sought after actor in Hollywood.
- Prove that Latinos watch cinema and that Latino stories are worth making and watching.*** This one is extremely important. We have great stories that need to be told and the more people that watch Cantinflas on opening weekend, the better it is, as it will get more distribution in the USA.
- Watch the amazing Spaniard Oscar Jaenada become Cantinflas. You will be amazed!
- Relive the laughs and giggles of watching Cantinflas y sus cantinfladas.
I leave you with my dad’s first selfie ever… waiting to watch Cantinflas with his little girl. This is what life is all about, sharing memories with your loved ones. So if your abuelita, abuelito, tía, Tío, Padrino, Madrina and vecino love Cantinflas, make it a family event and check it out this weekend!
Cantinflas opens on Friday August 29th. Check your local listings for times and locations. For more information on Cantinflas (the movie) you can also check out their Facebook page.