As moms we often care for others and forget to take care of ourselves. As someone who works full-time outside the home and has a crazy schedule, I can say that, there are times I have forgotten about myself. Yet I realize the importance of self-care and I am committed to taking care of myself so I can take care of my family. Sometimes, it is hard to stop and take a moment. Yesterday I had to do that. I had been getting headaches for a few days, and I woke up with a killer headache. I knew this was my body’s way of telling me to RELAX and TAKE IT EASY! (It’s in all caps because it was screaming at me, haha).
Truthfully, sometimes I push myself until I my body says STOP IT. I knew my body was needing the rest. So, I took time to rest.
We moms like to think we can just keep going, or we say “I will take some time tomorrow, or next week.” Why is it that self-care is so important yet we often don’t prioritize it? I am trying to develop healthy habits this summer so that once the school year starts (I am in graduate school) I can continue them and make taking care of myself a priority. I’m hoping that I can make sure that I make time for things like yoga and exercise, despite my busy schedule.
- take an extra-long shower – I did this recently and it’s SO NICE. Just some extra few minutes of just standing under the water!
- listen to music that makes you happy – If you gotta cook, why not do it with some music? (and no kids’ songs!)
- moisturize – It sounds silly but imagine having silky smooth skin…I have friends who are moisturize EVERY day and they have silky smooth skin. I’m envious of that skin, but it’s my fault for not doing something about it. Also, skin is the largest organ we have and we should give it some lovin’!
- wake up earlier and enjoy quiet time before kids get up – This one is hard for me, but the times I can do it, it is so nice to enjoy that cup of coffee before the morning madness begins.
- reduce sugar intake – I took the #FedUp Challenge (no sugar for 10 days) and I still drink my coffee without sugar!
- exercise – this is hard for me to do, because I prioritize things like writing in my spare time, but I realized that I need to add this to my schedule. So I signed up for a gym class, which forces me to go. I say anything counts, a 20 minute walk, a ZUMBA class or yoga, whatever to get your body moving… Enzo would like me to tell you that running around the dinner table chasing your children works as well.
- get a mani/pedi – This is not about vanity (ok it is a little) Your feet carry you around everywhere, so they need to be taken care of! That hour in the chair, where you can read any (non-parenting) magazine you want, it’s great!
- take time to see your friends – Real friends know that you’ve got a busy life and that sometimes it is hard to get together, but it is nice to carve out some time to go out to dinner and catch up… even if it means talking about your kids all the time, it will be nice to get out and talk, reminisce and laugh.
- let go of people who bring you down. If you’re a fan of Tough Cookie Mommy on Facebook (you should be, she’s awesome!) She is always emphasizing how important it is to let go of negative people that stress you out, she’s right, who needs more drama? (I realize this might not be a “small” thing to do, but sometimes necessary.)
- SLEEP – turns out, it’s really not overrated, though we like to tell ourselves that! It’s probably one of the best things we can do to feel better.
and one for good luck… DRINK WATER!!
Share this on Pinterest!