I never thought the day would come, and no I’m not talking about poopy int the potty– I knew that day would come– I’m talking about the day when a piece of poop would make me so HAPPY.
Yes, ladies and gents, poop has made my day.
Well, it is major milestone in a child’s life. But what is amazing to me is the way it happened!!!
Yesterday Enzo was a bit under the weather… This AM he got up and said he wanted to go peepee in the potty. So I said ok and he did it… No big deal as he’s done it before.
Then we left the bathroom and he said “pipi otra vez.” (pipi again.) So I took him to the bathroom (hoping that it would be number two, but not expecting it since I had heard it’s a pretty big deal.)
Enzo said “ya está!” And he got up to show me. His face was beaming with pride.
And there it was: a tiny piece of poop. Then he sat down again to finish his business.
As for me I wanted to throw a party, I wish I would have had confetti!!
That feeling lasted exactly 3 seconds… guess who had to dump it out? 🙁
They say the first time is the hardest, so I’m hoping this is the beginning of our home becoming a no-diaper zone.
If you’re potty training, here are things I’ve learned along the way: (and I’m still learning)
1. Every child is different.
2. There is no right age. Don’t let people make you feel bad because your child isn’t potty trained by ____ age.
3. Both you and your child have to be ready. And everyone in the house has to be on board!!
4. It can be a stressful experience… For both parents and kids. Just remember… No one goes to high school wearing diapers on!! Your child will eventually do it.
5. Reward even the smallest try! It is a big deal for our little ones!! (and for us!)
Enzo has asked for a Mickey Mouse surprise… tomorrow not today.
As for me, I think I deserve a glass of wine… Cheers to the poopy!